Monday, April 5, 2010

TEMPTING GOD

Psalm 78:54-56 “And he brought them to the border of his sanctuary, even to this mountain, which his right hand had purchased He cast out the heathen also before them, and divided them an inheritance by line, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents. Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies:

The nation of Israel is brought to “the border of his sanctuary”, or the land which was the promised land. It is also called “this mountain” because it was mountainous compared to the almost level land of Egypt from which God had brought them. God had delivered, had given them the land and gave them a dwelling place. But what did they do? They tempted and provoked God.

How did they tempt and provoke God? Notice verses 56-57 “. . . and kept not his testimonies: But turned back and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: . . .” Along with disobedience, they looked back and practiced the same shameful actions as did their fathers. A horse produces a horse; a sheep produces a sheep; enough said. They looked back in their mind and disobeyed God after all He had done for them.

There are times in which the child of God should look backward. If we don’t look back ever so often, we forget what God has done in our lives. I was talking to one of the men who had been in the American Military Church I had pastored in Germany and we were talking about what had happened in his life. We were looking back. It was a joy to look back and remember how he had gotten saved and started his journey of growth. He was so excited about what God had done for him and every Sunday he would share some new experiences. I’m glad today he has that same excitement. It was good to look back.

In the early part of the Bible, God had to exhort the nation of Israel to “remember” and “not forget” what He had done for them in their history. Israel, like us, was very quick to forget the many blessings God had poured out on them. So, it’s good for us to take a moment and reflect upon the goodness of Almighty God in our life. As I approach my 70th birthday (May 19 in case you want to know), I find myself looking back and being amazed at all that has happened in my life. I remember when I got saved at the age of 8 and was baptized by Dr. Lee Roberson at the great Highland Park Baptist Church in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I remember the great people who impacted my life for the glory of God. I remember how God worked in a wonderful way and brought my beautiful wife into my life. I remember the great days of training at Tennessee Temple Schools. I remember the great ministries God allowed me to be a part of. I rejoice over the many people in those great works who have made an impact upon my life. It’s good to look back lest I forget how God has worked in my life and blessed me beyond measure.

There is nothing wrong with looking back but there is only one direction for the child of God, and that is forward. There is no reverse in the transmission of the believer and there is no reason for the child of God to be satisfied with the status quo.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 3:13-14 “Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

We also read in Hebrews 12:1 “Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

The Christian should always be moving forward (onward and upward) studying, applying, growing more like the Lord in your life. We’re commanded to do so. II Timothy 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” II Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away behold all things are become new.” Romans 8:29 “For whom he did foreknow he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, . . .

When we know what we’re supposed to do and don’t, that’s sin. James 4:17 “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

This is serious. Warren Wiersbe writes, “How do you tempt God? When you deliberately disobey Him and dare Him to do something. You are not walking in ignorance - you know what you are doing. To tempt God means to sin with your eyes wide open. This provokes Him.”

God wants us to move forward in our Christian journey. On this week after we have just celebrated the resurrection of our Lord, this is a good time for us to look back momentarily, and then recommit to follow Him and go forward for the glory of God.

That’s my view; what about you!

No comments:

Post a Comment