Monday, March 1, 2010

ANYTHING GOES


Grace and I were watching the Olympics and one of the ladies had on a sleeveless dress. It wasn’t immodest but I remarked that I didn’t think you were supposed to wear sleeveless dresses in the winter. My wife pointed out that today ladies even wear white dresses in the dead of winter.

In years past, and I’ll not say too much to avoid showing how out of touch I am, this was a no-no. In my childhood days, and even later years there were other seasonal taboos: couldn’t go barefooted until the dogwoods bloomed; wear white shoes until Easter; and you couldn’t wear white shoes after Labor Day, etc.

But today, “Anything Goes”. Man, I wish I hadn’t gotten rid of my white shoes! Pat Boone and I could be in style year round!

“Anything Goes” has even found itself into the lives of believers, and even churches for that matter. I’m surprised when I see people who call themselves Christians saying and doing things which at one time were taboo in Christian community. Why is this? Were we wrong in our thinking in the past? (probably in some cases, yes; some, no) Is it wrong today? (probably in some cases, yes; some, no)

In the Christian life there are a lot of differing opinions about what is right and wrong. There are some things which are definitely wrong. The Bible is clear on those issues. It would be great if the Bible was that clear on all things, but that is not the case. In these areas, which I refer to as gray areas, we have certain liberties. In those issues we can differ and either opinion can be made very easily. Since that is the case, what should determine our actions in those issues? Some might says, “You just have to let your conscience be your guide!” That depends on how your conscience has been programed. That didn’t work too good with Bonnie and Clyde or Al Capone.

The guide for all our attitudes and actions is not our conscience or feelings or the philosophy of the world. The guide for the individual who is bought by the blood of Christ is to be the Word of God. II Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, (complete or mature) throughly furnished unto all good works.

What Paul was saying in those two verses is: The Bible is God-breathed and is profitable for all that believe; for all our convictions; for correcting us; for teaching us righteousness, so that can mature and equipped for all our actions. (That’s my take on it)

So, the Bible is the guide for the child of God’s actions, whether the issue is dealt with as a command or in a principle.

Did the Apostle Paul face gray areas in his life? He certain did and he wrote in I Corinthians 10:23, “All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient; all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

That sounds good, but what did he mean? What does it mean “All things are lawful for me?” Does that mean we can sin? No! In fact, anybody who would use that argument needs to have his head examined (or maybe his heart).

Paul was dealing with eating meat that had been offered to idols. No, it wasn’t unlawful him to do so. So, there are some things which in and of themselves, are not forbidden. There’s no command right or wrong. As believers we can agree they are not forbidden. You can, but maybe I cannot. Why? Why is this?

Notice the last part of Paul’s statement in I Corinthians 10:23, “. . . but all things are not expedient; all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

“are not expedient” = not profitable, not wise
“edify not” = doesn’t build up

Paul is saying that there are some things that are not forbidden by a command of God, but there are some things that he does not get involved in because it is not the wise thing for him to do. Is Paul thinking of himself here? I don’t think so. Paul’s main focus was the church and the souls of lost people. There were weaker brethren in the church which might be led to do things which would violate their conscience. On the other hand, there were others in and outside the church to whom his ministry might be limited if he had involved himself in questionable activities.

Now let me say this: I’m not talking about somebody who’s a Pharisee. Jesus didn’t mince words to the Pharisee and neither do I. I’m talking about a weaker brother who loves the Lord, is growing in grace and who is trying to follow the teachings of God’s Word and looks up to me as a role model. I’m more concerned about his growth than I am my liberty.

I’m also talking about my neighbor that I’m trying to be a witness to and they are watching me, my consistency and whether or not I really care and love them. I’m more concerned about his soul than I am my liberty.

With this in mind, “Anything Goes”, does not apply as far as I’m concerned. I must live, first of all, for Christ, and secondly, for others.

Outside the example of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul was the greatest demonstration of concern for lost people. I can’t picture Paul having an “Anything Goes” philosophy of life, because he cared too much for his lost countrymen. Notice what he said in Romans 9:3, “For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

Paul understood his Christian liberty and was not going to be shackled again under the Law, but he also had a love for people within and outside the church that he wanted to influence for Christ.

That’s my view: what about you?

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, immensely. It is certainly something to ponder. With a 12 year old, I certainly see this generation accepting the "anything goes" mentality with dress, speech, music and activities.
    Preacher, would this fall under the postmodernism mentality of today? (One of my secular professors said that we are actually in a post-postmodern world now) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changes that we see occurring at warp speed just bring us closer to our Lord's return. I wonder how we will all explain the anything goes and everybody else was doing it?

    In Christ, Joy Kruppa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Such a timely topic. Thanks for blogging about this. Anything goes philosophy seems to spread out too fast. We really need to be spiritually sensitive and see what the Lord wants us to do. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete