Monday, May 2, 2011

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THROWING IN THE TOWEL?

Psalm 61:1-8 “Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah. For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name. Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations. He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him. So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

I love the Word of God. I love to read it; hear it taught and preached; listen to it read by somebody else. I just every part of God’s Word, especially the Psalms. There is something about reading the writings of David and being challenged by his experience with God. I can relate to his fears, sorrows and even his crying out to God. I just wish I could relate more to his reliance upon God for provisions and protection.

Can you imagine having to flee from your own son. My wife and I have a son. We love our son and he loves us. God has used him in a special way to meet some needs in our lives. Even recently when we were going through the horrific tornadoes here in Alabama, he called to make sure we were o.k.

I can’t imagine going through what David did when Absalom rebelled and he had to flee for his life. It is thought that this Psalm was written out of that experience. I don’t know that any of us can really relate to this but we can be challenged to live in the same relationship with God.

There are many who would have quit on God. They would have thought about throwing in the towel and walk away and ending up getting bitter at God because of the circumstance. David didn’t do that. Let’s take a look at these thoughts of David.

Notice the first three verses again: “Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

1. We See David CRYING Out To God – In verse 1 David is crying out for God’s help during these trying times.

David may have been in a cave or some isolated place, but he knew that God had been his rock, shelter and strong tower. He now calls out for God’s help.

Remember this: When you and I find ourselves in a situation where we feel threatened, we have this same God. He is our Rock upon which to lean. He is our Shelter from the winds of adversity. He is our Strong Tower where we have protection and peace. God is the One to which we can call upon. He’s the One Who can calm the stormy seas. Let’s not forget to depend upon Him in any difficult situation.

2. We See David CLEAVING To God – Notice verse 4 “I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

Remember, David is probably in a dark cave far from his normal place of worship. How can David abide in God’s tabernacle?

Wherever David was, God was there. He could not be chased to any place that he would not find God. When Moses was on the back side of the Desert, God was there in the burning bush. When Israel had sinned against God and were threatened by the Midianites, God appeared to an unlikely man by the name of Gideon. God is there with His people.

The word “abide” has the idea of a child feeling at home. Others may come and go but David would rest in the person of God.

How comforting that should be to the child of God. No matter how difficult the circumstance; no matter how rocky the road; we have the sweet assurance that He will never leave us, nor forsake us. (Heb. 13:5) We don’t have to be in a church, temple or any other place. God lives within us in the person of the Holy Spirit. Let’s do as David did and “abide” in God.

3. We See David CELEBRATING God – Notice verse 8 “So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.

David has cried out to God; relied upon Him, and now we see in verse 5 that he has peace that God is in control and everything is good: “For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.

Isn’t God good? He wants us to cry out to Him in time of need? He’s able to handle any problem we have. We read in Jeremiah 32:17 “Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:” Notice also Luke 1:37 “For with God nothing shall be impossible

When we consider what David has penned in these verses, we have to ask ourselves, “What is God to us?” Is He our ROCK? Is He our SHELTER when the storms of life come? Is He our STRONG TOWER when we rest? What is God to us? Let’s do as did David!

That’s my view; how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment