Monday, January 10, 2011

EXPERIENCED EDUCATION – Pt 3

II Corinthians 12:9 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Philippians 4:10-14 "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me. Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.

There are many things I regret in my life, but one of the things I regret most is that I did not do as well academically as I should. I have said many times that the best thing I learned at Bible College was to trust God and walk by faith. Since leaving Bible College I have continued to challenge myself both as a leader and preacher. I believe that the school of hard knocks has been the best teacher.

In our first CHALLENGING CONCEPTS entitled “Experienced Education” we explored EXPERIENCES OF LIFE. Then in week two we looked at EXPERIENCE OF LESSONS. In this week’s CHALLENGING CONCEPTS we want to explore:

III. EXPERIENCES OF LEGENDS

I have learned through the years that the person who can really help me the most is the one who has gone over the rough roads in his or her life and has finished a course in God’s school. The greatest help has come from one who has successfully conquered the hurdles of life. In this week’s blog I was to remind us of a few of these great giants of the faith.

A. JOB – I don’t know about you but when I think of Job I feel ashamed of the way I have complained when going through some minor problems in my life. He lost his property, business, children, health and even the support of his wife. But we read in Job 1:20- 22 “Then Job arose and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped. And said Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave and the LORD hath taken away blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Job graduated the school of life as an honor student. Job received his education the hard way. And every time you think of Job it encourages, inspires and strengthens your faith in God.

B. DAVID – David has always been one of my favorite characters in Scripture. I cannot relate to the best of times with David, but I can surely relate to some of the negative traits in his life. On the positive side David was a man after God's own heart. Surely a favored king like David wouldn't have to go through this kind of training program, but he did. His life was one of turmoil, persecution, fear and heartache, Can you imagine having to flee for your life many times, and one of those times fleeing from your own son?

In the younger years of his life, David was persecuted by King Saul. His own family caused him trouble in later years. David was taught many lessons through EXPERIENCED EDUCATION and shared those times writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Every time we read David’s writings and think of his name we are inspired to keep serving the Lord.

C. Daniel – Here is another man who graduated with honors. We know him today as the young man who had the courage to say "No." He didn’t wait until the temptation cameb but decided ahead of time what he would do. We read in Daniel 1:8 “But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself. . .

Daniel was persecuted, hated, despised, and even cast into the lion's den. But when the school was over, he came through with flying colors, and his name encourages us to purpose in our hearts and stand for what is right and faithfully serve the Lord.

D. The Apostle Paul - Paul was deceived, beaten, stoned and even left for dead. He faced more than any man I know, yet his testimony is given in II Corinthians 4:8-10 "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. So then death worketh in us, but life in you."

A person cannot look at the life of this godly man and not be challenged to serve the Lord no matter what God allows to come into his life.

E. John Bunyan – The biggest hard knock that Bunyan faced was that he was kept in jail in England for twelve long years. Instead of feeling sorry for himself and giving up, this godly man penned a book which is excelled only by the Word of God. His writing would not have had the depth it did without the schooling he received through persecution and hardships. God knew what he needed to be the vessel he became.

I wonder if you and I are willing to go through what John Bunyan faced. Let’s look at one more Legend.

F. David Livingstone – Livingston was born in poverty and even worked in a factory when he was only ten years of age. He labored from six in the morning until late at night, studying his books as he worked. Finally, led by God to Africa, he traveled 29,000 miles on foot and suffered 27 attacks of African fever. Livingstone endured many, many hardships but found the grace of God to be sufficient for them all. Many of our missionaries today have been challenged by the faithfulness and tenacity of this great man of God.

In this CHALLENGING CONCEPTS we have examined some of the honor graduates of God’s school of experience. I trust they have been as inspiring to you as they have been to me. And the next time either of us are tempted to complain about what we are facing, I hope that we will be reminded of what these men faced and conquered. Let’s not complain or be tempted to quit, let’s serve the Lord faithfully.

That’s my view; how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment